Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Sir Spamalot

Lately, my email system at work has been infested with a tsunami of spams, mostly selling cheap softwares and the usual male enhancing devices. We are supposed to be protected by a filter. The filter works: it keeps rejecting emails that I forward to myself at work, mainly newspapers articles or lists of internet links. Then I noticed the trick used by spammers to overcome the filter barrier: in the subject field, those bastards put messages full of spelling mistakes, but which are easily understandable. In fact they are applying the method described in an email that has been circulating the web for some times now: the human brain is trained to recognize a word by its first and last letters and it will unredstnad hte atcaul menanig evne if hte wrod is msipseleld. So by intentionnally mispelling their messages, the spammers are fooling the filter and giving our security system the finger.


And speaking of mispelled words, I love these mistakes recently found in various spots: «my boyfiend» and «Allerte aux alergies» [This last one is a poster at a Metro grocery store. Somebody must have told them: Hey guys, there's a spelling mistake on your poster, it's spelled with two «l» and not just one. So they corrected it. True story (I have a picture of the poster).]


And, cause I'm in a good mood, here are some country music song titles: «If I Can't Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number Two On You», «I Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim's Gettin' Better» and «You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly».

2 comments:

Buddhist with an attitude said...

It's a great idea. I'll submit it to IT and see how they react. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You should start a daily project, wich is to use cloravouyence to try to to see angels in magnetic stasis prisons that are in a distant galaxy. Mentally tune into the spirit in a cage and when you think you have seen it start a quality chant or prayer for the friend in outer space. Visit the trapped angels and try to relate to the intense unholy rage of the hostile alians with the telepathy that now exist within you. So pick a Galaxy and SEE several trapped spirit angels at the site.