Friday, August 12, 2005

Backstroke of the West

One of the delights in watching Kungfu films with subtitles is the hilarious mistakes in translation or the use of incomprehensible expressions. One of our family's favourite inside jokes/insults is: «You are worse than broken tiles!», taken from the Engrish subtitles of a Jet Li film. I also like to say to my sons, when they have to go somewhere: «Take your Chinese shoes and leave!», also from a Jet Li film (Fist of Fury, I think).


So you can imagine how thrilled I was when I stumbled upon «Mathew in Beirut» blog, which reproduces another site with the funniest Engrish subtitles of Star Wars Episode 3 ever (for some reason, the Chinese title of the film is «Backstroke of the West»). I wanted to copy and paste some samples to show you, but obviously the task is beyond my competence, so rush to Mathew's blog and be prepared to piss your pants.

http://americaninlebanon.blogspot.com/2005/07/backstroke-of-west.html

Oh...one last thing... [spoiler alert!!!]... «Obi Wan, may the Force be with you» is «Ratio Tile, the wish power are together with you» in Engrish.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"take your chinese shoes and get outta here!" is from fist of legend. fist of fury is a totaly different movie by bruce lee