Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Samsara Horrors

The life of an animal
After seeing pictures of a bunch of alligators circling around an abandonned dog in New Orleans, I am posting this warning to the members of my family: if we ever have to be evacuated in case of an emergency or a disaster, I want everyone to know that I'd rather kill myself on the spot than leave without the dog. And don't try logic to dissuade me.

The life of a human 1
With gangs of rapists and looters rampaging through wards in the flooded city, senior doctors gave massive overdoses of morphine to those they believed could not make it out alive.

"I didn't know if I was doing the right thing," a doctor said. "But I did not have time. I had to make snap decisions, under the most appalling circumstances, and I did what I thought was right. I injected morphine into those patients who were dying and in agony.

"If the first dose was not enough, I gave a double dose. And at night, I prayed to God to have mercy on my soul."


The life of a human 2
An investigation by the British newspaper The Guardian has revealed that a Chinese cosmetics company is using skin harvested from executed convicts and aborted foetus to develop beauty products for sale in Europe, mainly collagen. (http://tinyurl.com/cyj33)

The company's representative suggested that the use of skin and other tissues harvested from executed prisoners is not uncommon. "In China, it is considered very normal and I was very shocked that western countries can make such a big fuss about this", he said. Speaking from his office in northern China, he added: "The government has put some pressure on all the medical facilities to keep this type of work in low profile".

The agent said his company exported to the west via Hong Kong. "We are still in the early days of selling these products, and clients from abroad are quite surprised that China can manufacture the same human collagen for less than 5% of what it costs in the west. "Skin from prisonners used to be even less expensive, he said. "Nowadays there is a certain fee that has to be paid to the court."

1 comment:

Buddhist with an attitude said...

Wait till you get my age ;-)