Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Forgetting my cellphone at work







Martin Cooper, inventor of the handheld cellular phone






The other day, I was wearing a pocketless jacket, so I had to put my cellphone in the back of my pantwaist, against my spine. As I was riding in the elevator, which was full of people because we were in the midst of a huge conference, the phone of course started to ring, and because of the vibrations it fell into my underwear. Everyone in the elevator looked at me, wondering why I was not answering, since the music obviously came from me. The ring tone was getting louder and louder (It was The Blue Danube, so sue me!) so I got off at the next stop. Once outside, I did a sort of jiggling, jumping dance, trying to extricate the phone from my underwear. That's when the elevator door opened and out came the President of the Council with a few Ambassadors and Representatives of Member States. They saw me and froze. I saw them and froze, with both hands stuck deep in my pants and that damn phone singing loudly: Tah dah dah dah dah, dit dit, dit dit. Tah dah dah dah dah, dit dit, dit dit.

And that's why I forgot my phone at work the other day. Oh, and the call, it was a wrong number.


The smooth silver thing is my cellphone*. The furry sleeping thing is a puppy.



* Nah, I'm kidding, that's not my cellphone.

3 comments:

Van Cong Tu said...

I love the picture, The mobile is too big for my hand, Is that the old version?

Buddhist with an attitude said...

Yeah, it's probably the first version ever. I also think it's a neat picture. Historical and everything. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Few years ago, I went in for a job interview with my cell phone on vibration just in case. In the middle of the interview, the phone of course started to ring. Out of respect for my potential employer, I decided not to answer, but the phone kept making strange vibration noise. The noise was just loud enough to get my interviewers noticed. The company president and HR lady kept staring at me as if aren’t you going to answer that? I kept on talking to them and ignored my phone call. After the interview, I checked my cell phone message. It was my daughter. She just came home from school and she was just checking in to tell me that everything was fine in school. I called her back to say sorry that I couldn’t take her call. Few weeks later, I got a rejection letter from the company. I wondered it would make any difference if I had answered the call. Nah, I don’t think so.