Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I for one welcome our new Snowclone Overlords



My son Asparagus has been teaching me about the Internet/Slashdot culture, language, jokes, etc.. Stuff I've learned: «All your bases are belong to us», «Pwned», the use of «teh», etc..

Since the start of my education, Asparagus and I have been exchanging various types of jokes based on these expressions, as a practical exercice. He particularly likes to take my most inocuous statements and fling them back to me in variations of the famous Smirnoff's joke "In America, you can always find a party. In Soviet Russia, the Party can always find you!", the more nonsensical the better.

Imagine my surprise and delight to find this sentence while reading a list of Robert Green Ingersoll's quotations:

«Honest investigation is utterly impossible within the pale of any church, for the reason that, if you think the church is right you will not investigate, and if you think it wrong, the church will investigate you.» -- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Individuality" (1873)

Shade of Smirnoff, don't you think? Anyway, if like me, you are interested in/intrigued by the new Internet literati's parlance, go to these sites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_memes and http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/

It's from the last website that I learned the concept of «Snowclones» [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowclone]. I used to try to slip in the word «Entropy» in all my conversations. From now on, it's gonna be «Snowclones» and «Internet memes».

No comments: