Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another frigging snowstorm



I have found my old copy of Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions" and leafing throught it, I found the part that I used to read to my son Asparagus, and we laughed until we cried. I'm reproducing it hereafter, in dedication to Kurt and to Asparagus, my two favourite people on Earth at this point in time.

"As for the story itself, it was entitled "The Dancing Fool". Like so many Trout tories, it was about a tragic failure to communicate.

Here was the plot: A flying saucer creature named Zog arrived on Earth to explain how wars could be prevented and how cancer could be cured. He brought the information from Margo, a planet where the natives conversed by means of farts and tap dancing.

Zog landed at night in Connecticut. He had no sooner touched down than he saw a house on fire. He rushed into the house, farting and tap dancing, warning the people about the terrible danger they were in. The head of the house brained Zog with a golfclub."

No comments: