Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Monthly Rice

My kitchen

Contrary to vicious rumors, I'm a decent cook. I could be a good one, but I can't be bothered. Cooking for me is like other house chores, I'd do it, but it gives me no pleasure. It's tedious and tomorrow you have to do it again.

For the past few months, or may be the past year, every week I would buy a roasted duck and some precooked vegetarian dishes from an Oriental supermarket and that's what I would have, with some rice, every single day. Once in a while I would share some pizza or Indian food that the kids ordered, but normally I would eat the same things months after months because I'm too lazy to cook. That and the ordeal of having to decide what to eat, then having to go out and buy the raw materials, is too much effort. Yep, that's how lazy I am.

Here I am, cooking up a storm and hating it

So imagine my delight when I found my lifesaver Anh. Anh is a caterer who, like all "normal" Vietnamese women, can cook like a pro and she's making a fortune cooking and delivering home made Vietnamese dishes to people like me who cannot or will not cook. For 30 dollars a shot, Anh will prepare 4 dishes and deliver them to your door. Her clientele are Vietnamese families where both parents work or old couples where the wife no longer has the energy to cook. My orders are delivered twice a week, but most families have their meals delivered three times a week. Anh can also prepare special dishes for the ancestors' altar if you give her some warning.

This catering service is called "com thang" in Vietnamese or "monthly rice" (rice = meal). A normal Vietnamese meal would include a soup, a salty dish, a sauté/stir fry dish, a vegetable dish, and of course steamed rice. This is what she prepared for me today; all I had to do was to turn on my rice cooker:

Chicken Salad (Nuoc mam in the plastic bag)


Shrimp and pork sautés with vegetables


Fish stew in tomatoes


Bamboo Soup

Happiness is having a Vietnamese caterer who delivers. But I would be just as happy with a Thai caterer, or an Algerian caterer, or an Indian caterer, or an Italian caterer....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're hot. Do you have MSN?